Monday, August 2, 2010

To license or not to license. Part I

There really is no question. We have all heard the stories that The LEGO Group was so so far into the red by the end of the last century* that they were near to going into receivership**. Today I'm going to start a discussion about the pros and cons of LEGO getting into relationships with other properties which started just 10 years ago with LEGO Star Wars***.
Many FOL's disagree with the myriad licensed properties that LEGO have attached themselves to; some have valid reasons and some have reasons as silly as they didn't get what they wanted coughLord of thecoughRingscough.

Now I've taken 45 minutes getting my kids tucked away into bed and have totally lost my train of thought it must be a good time to end part one. Besides, it's late and I don't feel like doing any of the back and forth posting of links and such. I'll get to it soon enough.


* I like to use that phrase, it feels so nice and old school.
** Not a fact, purely a statement based on rumour.
*** Not really, many don't make a fuss over TLG's longtime relationship with companies like Shell Oil and Ferrari because it's not something that affects them on a personal level.

No comments:

Post a Comment