Monday, August 16, 2010

'Netiquette, forum posting, feedback and you.

Hi, your friendly neighborhood 'Big Brother' here. Yesterday on Classic-castle, I went back in time to 1984. http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19452

I've never said (and actually meant) that all of my thoughts and ideas are good ones but there are times when an inane question needs to be asked. Communities stagnate without stimulation. Sometimes needs a threat to make it wake up. People hate change and sometimes you need to threaten the status-quo. Combine that with some form of the good old 'these n00bs gotta learn' hate comment and it can be like setting a match to kindling.

I feel as though I could go on and on and on about this topic but I fear that my thoughts will become disorganised very quickly because it's early in the morning and I should probably be getting ready for work.

Still, the underlying issue of that forum thread is this: What is proper communication on a LEGO community forum?
Do you understand the rules of your community?
Do you know the unwritten rules?
Do you really have a firm grasp of how you come off to others?
Do you say what you mean and mean what you say?
Do you understand that a 'winky' emoticon is not a get out of jail free card, meaning you don't get to say mean things in the name of humour or sarcasm?
Do you know when to stand and fight or when to back away?

Before I continue I'll let you ponder these questions. So will I, even though I'm pretty confident in who I am and what I usually say it's a good thing to take a step back now and then and quietly review oneself.

No comments:

Post a Comment